Paul Santos World

I am Paul Santos, and I approve of this message.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Race and Religion in America

Excerpt from term paper, by Paul Santos

The year is 2004. The month is October. And the day is Thursday. Our country should no longer be thinking about race as a "dangerous topic," but unfortunately we do. There was a time when "race" meant only a sprinting contest. Today, it means something much, much different. Many people don't even think of the sprinting contest part. They think only of "race" as in human variations in evolution. In the dictionary, the word "race" actually has 17 unique definitions, and therefore unique interpretations. One of the more obscure definitions of "race" is, and I quote, "a distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine." Clearly, our country has avoided straight talk about this topic, and are paying for this today.

To read more, please contact author.

4 Comments:

At October 23, 2004 at 11:50 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

I completely agree. Things such as race, affirmative action, etc have become huge issues in this country. Unfortunately, people feel uncomfortable bringing up or even talking about affirmative action. I had a dinner party the other night and the topic was brought up among three different people of three different "races". It was an interesting discussion. It's sad that most people cannot hold such intelligent conversations.

 
At October 25, 2004 at 10:11 AM, Blogger The One said...

Thanks, Marisa. I, too, am for affirmative action, in the most positive sense. Not only am I for action, but also for affirming that action. One of the problems that our nation faces is that without action, how can it be affirmed? I think you see my point.

- Paul Santos

 
At October 25, 2004 at 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
thanks for visiting my weblog. It is about cross stitch, not your favourite subject I suppose. But that is just a passion of me. I have a university degree and also an opinion of almost everything of course. Here in the Netherlands we don't live in paradise. Just yesterday a national research showed that the Dutch people enjoy their well-being, but they are not willing to do much for it. When they are asked to work longer (we make short ours) or help in our neighbourhood, we have a problem with that. That is the price you pay for hedonism. It is al about me, me, me.
We are happy in our own lives, but not willing to support others...
So that isn't very encouraging, isn't it? I guess freedom has a price everywhere.

 
At November 5, 2004 at 1:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You know, maybe if there was more to American culture than merely the proliferation of capitalism, we might look upon one another as "Americans" and not as "African Americans" or "Native Americans" or whatever... That would be superfantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home